We are aware of an increase in alcohol advertising and promotion during the COVID-19 restrictions. To assist advertisers to comply with the ASA Codes, we have developed AdHelp information on advertising and promotion of alcohol during COVID-19 – this is available here.
Advertisers need to ensure their advertising is socially responsible and protects consumers from harm. Please read the Advertising Standards Code, which applies to all ads in all media.
Advertisers should also be aware of their responsibilities under the Code for Advertising and Promotion of Alcohol.
A reminder that prior to preparing and placing their advertisements or developing their product names, labels and packaging, advertisers are expected to;
- Be familiar with the relevant legislation and codes; and
- Observe a high standard of social responsibility in both the preparation and placement of alcohol advertisements and product names, labels and packaging; and
- Ensure their advertising and promotion target adults; and
- Advertisements must not;
- Feature, imply, condone or encourage irresponsible or immoderate drinking;
- Depict alcohol as a necessity or that it is required for relaxation or that it has any therapeutic benefits; or
- Cause widespread or serious offence; or
- Link alcohol to dangerous or hazardous or unsafe practices; or
- Promote alcohol as a better or more attractive lifestyle; or
- Link alcohol to daring, aggressive, unruly, irresponsible or antisocial behaviour.
We encourage you to review our AdHelp Information on COVID-19 and Advertising Alcohol, which provides in-depth information in areas where advertisers should take particular care. Please feel free to share this with anyone in your network who may find this useful.
If you are advertising alcohol and have any questions not covered by the information we have provided, we strongly recommend reaching out to the Liquor Advertising and Promotion Pre-Vetting Service (LAPPS) to help minimise the risk of a legal or code breach. Information about LAPPS is available on the ANZA website. If you have any questions on advertisements outside the scope of LAPPS, you can email us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the Complaints Board upholds a complaint, the advertiser will be asked to remove the advertising.
We are happy to help with any ad standards queries and work with you to support responsible advertising.
Hilary Souter & the ASA team